May 18, 2017

The Best Silvanas by Sans Rival


"Crispy thin meringue that becomes a little chewy when on room temperature,  and the super oh-so-creamy goodness of the buttercream in between those two nutty meringue." -Silvanas




Oh no! This is tragic. I'm craving for it right now! Huhu.. 

One of my childhood favorite merienda after classes was silvanas. But that was in the year 90s, when Jo-nis Bakeshop (located at Pedro Gil) was still our silvanas stop because they were the only ones we knew selling the good ol' little gem. Their silvanas was pretty awesome because the meringue was fuller and thicker, which I prefer more. The buttercream was not too sweet yet super tasty and will really melt your mouth. But when Jo-nis Bakeshop became out of the scene I never really got to find a new silvanas that would t least comes close to what taste and texture I prefer. I tried the famous bakeshops with specialties of making silvanas but I really don't like it that much, not because they're not good but because I'm just really picky looking for the specific I've been used to which reminds me of my childhood days. Yeah, I'm becoming sentimental here and this is like a topic about silvanas and there's no connection with what I'm saying right now. Enough of my blah blah. Haha! 

As I was saying, I was never close to finding my silvanas until one day someone gave me a pasalubong from Dumaguete that was in a blue box. I thought it was very unusual for a pastry to be in a blue box with some generic decors in it. Packaging isn't really that appealing on me so I thought it was just an ordinary sweets from another Island of the Philippines. But girl!!! When I got to taste it it was the bomb! Haha! It really is the one I've been looking for.💙 It has the closest taste next to my all-time fav silvanas but still with its own distinct character and identity. There's nothing much to describe but it really is one of the best. And until now I'm just so happy I've finally get to eat a treasure like this, in an era where even foods become "uso" na lang and when another one comes out of the internet there will be another and another and so on. And these silvanas is just for keeps. They always have that consistent taste and texture every time.  

Sans-rival's Silvanas became famous in Manila for quite some years now, probably because more people are becoming travelers and food enthusiasts that they get to unveil the hidden gems in the food industry from all over the country. The bakeshop doesn't have a branch here in Manila, only in Dumaguete which is the flagship store and another shop inside a mall. We got so interested with these goodies that we inquired to the shop if they are willing to branch out and open for franchise and we'll take it to Manila, but they said they don't have plans about it (maybe as of that moment). 

But anyway, I can always buy it fresh from Dumaguete, thanks to my hubby who flew very often in Dumaguete! 

No comments:

Post a Comment